Here is a great way to cook a 3-course elegant meal on a smoker…Helps if you have a Camp Chef with the Side Kick Flat Top Griddle. The “SBS” stands for Smoke-Braise-Sear—a three-step method of cooking these to perfection.
What it Takes:
BSB Short Ribs:
- Rack of Beef Short Ribs, 4-6 ribs. We recommend Dartagnan Angus or Grass-Fed Bone-In Short Ribs
- 1 cup of a nice Cabernet Sauvignon, preferably what you are serving with dinner..keeping the pallet consistent.
- Kosher Salt
- Coarse Ground Pepper
- A nice Semi-Sweet Rub. We used Willow Seasonings “Sweet Smoke” and it added just the right amount of flavor.
- Prepare Short Ribs, by NOT Stripping them, but sprinkle them with kosher salt and coarse ground pepper, then a coat of olive oil as a bonding agent, then your rub. We used Willow Seasoning’s “Sweet Smoke” and the results were excellent.
- Set Smoker to 225 degrees and smoke level 8.
- Smoke on Top Rack for 3-3 ½ hours, spritzing with apple juice every 45 minimum
- Line a shallow baking pan, just big enough to fit ribs, with aluminum foil, leaving enough to cover over the top after the ribs are placed in.
- At the 3 ½ hour mark, take the ribs off of the rack and place them MEAT SIDE DOWN in the lined baking pan.
- Pour approx. 1 cup of wine over the top and make sure the rack is 2/3 submerged in the wine
- Return to the BOTTOM rack of smoker for 2 ½ hours in the pan covered in foil
- When Temp of the meat reaches 197-205 degrees, pull and set aside under foil to await a sear.
- 1 medium bunch of Fresh Asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small bunch of Green Onions, diced
- ½ Red Onion, Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 Orange Pepper, Diced
- 1 Zucchini, sliced
- 1 Yellow Squash, sliced
- 20-25 Cherry or Grape Tomatoes
- 15 Mozzarella Balls
- 3 tbsp Pesto Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Combine 1st 7 ingredients and place in a bowl
- Drizzle with Olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Either on Stove or if you have a flat top, grill to a nice brown sear on vegies
- Remove and set aside and chill
- When ready to serve, combine with tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and pesto
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve cold.
- Frozen or Fresh Tater Tots (as many as you like)
- 3-5 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 1 stick butter
- ½ cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Place tots on a flat baking sheet
- Melt butter in a pan and add garlic minced
- Brush Tots lightly with butter garlic mixture
- After Meat has been removed from Smoker, Pre-Sear, bring up the temp to 400 degrees and smoke level 1-2
- Place Tots on pan on top rack for approx. 15 minutes until Golden Brown or desired texture
- After the first 7 minutes…return Ribs, out of foil and pan, to the bottom rack, flipping once, for the last 7 minutes of the Tot cooking time
Turn off the smoker, the griddle, and pour a glass of your Cabernet, and enjoy!!!